Wednesday 15 February 2017

China biotech turns to big data as next weapon in war on cancer by Natasha Khan via @infomgmt

China has made the precision medicine field a focus of its 13th five-year plan, and its companies have been embarking on ambitious efforts to collect a vast trove of genetic and health data.

This is really exciting and I can envisage the kinds of benefits that could be gained from understanding more about our DNA and markers for certain illnesses.  However I would like to add a word of caution - I personally have an autoimmune illness and I know that whilst my DNA would show that I have a propensity to have an autoimmune disease, there is no guarantee that I will a) get one and b) which one it will be.  Our understanding of DNA needs to improve a huge amount to have precision in some areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.